Stadium2

Stadium2

Saturday, February 19, 2011

The fan

I am a Jaguars fan. Admittedly, I became a casual fan around 2003. I grew up in Jacksonville and always heard about the talk about getting a NFL team. I didn't really understand at that age what that meant. I just knew it would mean more football. So, that was OK. I left Jacksonville in 1991 for an Atlanta suburb. Where I quickly became a Braves fan and remained a Seminoles fan. Atlanta Falcons are a large market team. You do not spot them Marietta or Kennesaw. They did not appeal to me.
I had been to a Jaguars game in 1998. I could not believe what I saw. Jaguar Airbrushed Lexuses. Seriously? Every other car in Jacksonville was Teal. I thought " these people are nuts!!!!"
I returned to Jacksonville in 2003. Upon my return, someone gave me 2 tickets to the Tennessee Titans game (i think). We picked up the tickets from some one's home off Alta Drive at 1130. To which my husband said, "we'll never make it in time". This is Jacksonville not Atlanta. We made it with plenty of time to spare. We sat in the North End Zone. It was a cool breezy turned warm day. The thing I remember most: Jaxson De Ville carrying a tire on a stick because we had held Tennessee most of the game until they finally scored late and Jaxson had to put the tire and stick away. The next year I went to a another game with my friend Kimbo. I was introduced to "paws" and "Jaguarheads". I thought it was cool. When season ticket time came around in 2005, I got my husband season tickets to the Jaguars for HIS birthday. Little did I know at the time that I would be the one who valued them the most.
 I began going to the games and sitting in "MY SEATS". I began as someone watching a football game. That would only be for a short time. Somehow the child side of me decided I must have 2 Paws. One for each hand. And my Husband sometime during the season got me a treat which he was proud to present: a Jaguarhead. I also ended up with a Jaxson De Ville Jersey 4 sizes too big. I was all in. I renewed for the next year and the next and the next and on and on.
No I don't paint my face.
No I don't paint my body.
No I don't have an alluring body with which the camera can't shoot enough of repeatedly.
No I don't let my boobs hang out.
No I don't spend 4 hrs. on my hair and make-up. 
No I don't sit in Club or in a Box. (only recently at Florida-Georgia did I realize Club seats are cushioned).
No I don't know someone on the field.
No I don't get drunk.
No I don't care for the t-shirt cannon. Only so I don't get hit in the face with one.
No I am not a since season 1 fan.
No I do not boo the players.That's not classy.
Yes I am always at the game with 2 Paws.
Yes I will stand in the breezeway so I don't stroke out on the hottest game of the year.
Yes I am drenched in sunblock so I won't burn.
Yes I always wear something blatantly Jaguar. Not Jaguar print. JAGUAR.
Yes when it is cold I am wearing the Jaguarhead.
Yes people look at me funny with 2 Paws and a Jaguarhead.
Yes I don't like to take potty breaks and get food.
Yes I did once say I'd rather lose every game with Garrard than win every game with Leftwich.
Yes I coined the phrase "move Slow-wich, get out the way".
Yes I was sad to see Fred Taylor go even though he played for the GATORS.
Yes I defend the Jaguars on what seems to be a daily basis to all the Doubting Thomases.
Yes I believe the players give a little extra with a full stadium. Immaculate Deflection. Scobee for 59 yards.
Yes I am proud to say I was there for those games.
Yes I find a way to make the season ticket economically feasible for myself.
Yes I chant "move those chains' and the extra chorus that my seatmates taught me.
Yes that's me dressed in Jaguar paraphernalia with 2 Paws jumping up and down on the Jumbotron.
Yes most of the time all you can see are 2 Paws jumping up and down.
Yes I read "Ask Vic' and now "The O-Zone" everyday.
Yes I have 2 sets of Paws. Retro and Regular.
Yes I have on occasion forgotten my Paws.
Yes I bought another pair IMMEDIATELY.
Yes I have labored under the delusion that GAME MINUS PAWS= LOSING GAME.
Yes my heart rate slows down and I am able to relax better with 60,000 of my closest friends screaming for my Jaguars.

I might be sweaty and nasty from the Florida heat, but I bring everything I have and give everything I've got on Gameday. Did I mention I'm a bigger fan than my husband?


1 comment:

  1. Great post Deb!

    Oddly I do remember your first time at the games. You called me and told me all about it...my answer was the same then as it is now...YOU ARE CRAZY MY FRIEND!!!!xoxo

    ReplyDelete