Stadium2

Stadium2

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lombardi is not LOMBARDI

Several weeks ago, there was an exchange between Blaine Gabbert, Quarterback for the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Michael Lombardi, commentator for NFL Network. The first story:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8251ae70/article/falcons-winning-formula-hasnt-changed-jags-have-big-problem

The rebuttal:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82864b95/article/blaine-gabbert-labels-lombardis-critique-comical

The re-rebuttal:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8286c7bf/Michael-Lombardi-vs-Blaine-Gabbert

It was quite a "back and forth" exchange. No one really wins. But it put forth an interesting question: Who is Michael Lombardi? So, I do what I normally do. I googled him. I even went to the dreaded Wikipedia. I know. I just lost credibility. However, I learned some interesting things. Importantly, Michael Lombardi is not related to VINCE LOMBARDI. NOT RELATED. So for all of you out there that listen to him thinking football is a genetic right for him, it's not. After reading some the articles associated with him, I would hardly recognize him as someone who could find talent. On the contrary, he seems to have been at the helm when Jamarcus Russell was drafted to the Oakland Raiders. Although, he was fired a month later. Speculation is he had nothing to do with that particular draft class, but Hold On Playa. I wouldn't bet the farm on that one.
Wikipedia describes him and his wife as owners of a Lagotto Romagnolo. At first I thought it was a rare Italian Sportscar, although I have a hard time believing there is a car I don't know about. But, alas it's a:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagotto_Romagnolo

Hilarious.

What's also apparent is that there is an uneasiness with Lombardi. I believe it's because he's not confident and definitely not well spoken. He got canned by Al Davis and hasn't returned to a front office job. AND because he acts like he's a "LOMBARDI (as in the trophy)". Well, Lombardi I hate to break it to you... you are not LOMBARDI.

Michael Lombardi is also described as a sportscaster. So, let me make sure I have the story straight. Michael Lombardi is a guy who has been with countless football dynasties and gave it up to be a sportscaster. Doesn't that smack of ridiculousness? He dares judge Gabbert aka chuck-n-duck aka Samson aka sunshine, but hasn't held a front office job since 2007? Don't get me wrong. I'm not totally sold on Gabbert. I'm going along for the ride. Drinking the Kool-Aid if you will. But Lombardi needs to simmer down. and Gabbert needs to step up. End of story.

MDK in the House

We MUST protect this House

No comments:

Post a Comment